280.1 Use of the Herman W. Lay Physical Activities Center
|Created by: Stephanie Ferguson on 04/04/2007|
|Category: 2 - Student Life; 80 - Recreation/Social|
|Originator: Academic Administration|
|Current File: 280.1|
|Adoption Date: 08/01/2001|
|Reviewed for Currency: 10/25/2017|
|Replaces File: 280.1|
|Date of Origin: 07/17/1984|
|In Archive? 0|
280.1 Use of the Herman W. Lay Physical Activities Center
The Herman W. Lay Physical Activities Center (PAC) is Furman's primary facility for student, faculty, and staff recreational activity. Because of frequent requests for the use of the facility by university departments and organizations and community groups, it is necessary to have policies governing its control, supervision, and utilization.
The Herman W. Lay Physical Activities Center is primarily used to house the Health Sciences Department, Campus Recreation, Human Resources, the Furman fitness center and swimming pool, the Bryan Center for Military Science and St. Francis Sports Medicine department. The first priority for its use is for university-sponsored functions. Some of its facilities are made available to non-university groups and individuals under certain conditions.
1. The Director of Campus Recreation, who reports to the Vice President for Student Life, maintains an office in the building, authorizes key issue, approves use of facilities for on-campus and off-campus groups, schedules activities, maintains a daily schedule of approved functions, and issues custodial and maintenance requests.
2. Use of the facilities including the pool, fitness center and dance studio, is available to students, faculty, and staff who display a valid Furman University ID card. Spouses and legal dependents of faculty and staff may obtain user cards for facility use from the a member of the Campus Fitness staff at the fitness center desk. Children must be at least 13 years of age and not over 24 years of age, and considered legal dependents according to IRS regulations in order to receive a user card. Children under 13 must be accompanied by a parent (must be in the same space as the child/children) and are not issued user cards. Children under 13 years of age are not permitted to use the Furman fitness center. PAC memberships are available for a fee to community members and Furman alumni. Members are issued a user card to be presented upon entering the building.
3. Students, faculty, and staff with a valid Furman ID or PAC user card may bring a total of five (5) guests to the PAC from July 1 to June 30 at no charge.
a. After exceeding five (5) guest visits (5 guest visits may be 1 person who visits 5 times or 5 people visiting 1 time each), the ID holder must pay a daily user's fee.
b. Fitness Center members may bring a guest to use the PAC facilities for a daily user's fee.
c. No individual may be a guest for more than five (5) visits per year.
d. Dependent children are not allowed to bring guests.
e. Student, faculty, staff, or fitness center members who bring a guest must accompany that guest while using the Lay Physical Activities Center facilities.
f. All guests must be registered at entry and read and sign an informed consent waiver.
g. A record will be kept of all guests.
4. Any reservations to use the PAC must be scheduled through 25Live, and then approved by the Enrollment Services Office or Department of Campus Recreation.
5. Use of the Health Education Laboratory will be scheduled through the Health Sciences Department Administrative Assistant. The Health Sciences Department will have first priority for reservation of the Health Education Laboratory. The laboratory will not normally be reserved for outside groups unless approved by the Chair of the Health Sciences Department.
6. All Bryan Center facilities (classroom, conference room, offices) will be scheduled through the Chair of the Military Science Department. All other areas of the PAC to be used by the Department of Military Science must be scheduled according to the guidelines provided in this policy (items 4 and 5).
7. No reservations for space will be made for athletic teams which would violate an NCAA rule for official organized practice dates.
8. The budget unit head of the department scheduling the facility for on-campus users or the person requesting use of the space for off-campus users assumes responsibility for accidents. This also means filing Accidental Injury Reports with the Director of Campus Recreation and Furman Police.
9. A fee will be charged for any use of the center during a time when the center is normally closed. Requests for access outside normal operating hours should again be made through the 25Live scheduling system and then approved by the Enrollment Services Office or Department of Campus Recreation.
10. All users of the facility will be expected to preserve the building in good order and condition. It is also expected that parking and traffic regulations be followed.
11. No key to any area of the facility may be issued without authorization of the Director of Campus Recreation.
12. No smoking or tobacco products of any kind may be used in the facility.
13. Camps and other groups using the pool will be charged a fee for lifeguards. The rate is based on one (1) guard per twenty-five (25) swimmers. A general usage fee is also charged for all summer groups.
14. Camps and other groups using any area of the facility outside of normal operating hours will be charged a fee (contact Associate Director of Campus Recreation).
15. Requests for use of academic classroom space (PAC 114 and PAC 116) must be done through 25Live and will be approved by Enrollment Services.
16. PAC 113 must be scheduled through the Health Sciences Department Administrative Assistant.
17. Scheduling priorities for the PAC (except 113) are:
a. Health Sciences Department
b. Intramural Sports
c. Club Sports
d. Group Exercise classes
e. Approved Furman University student organizations
f. Osher Lifelong Learning Institute (OLLI) classes
g. Summer camps have priority over all groups, except Health Sciences, during June and July for gymnasium space.
18. Scheduling dates:
a. Health Sciences
a. June 30th for Fall semester
b. September 30th for Spring semester
c. February 28th for May 1st – August 15th
b. Campus Recreation (Intramural Sports and Club Sports)
a. July 15th for Fall semester
b. October 15th for Spring semester
c. Group Exercise classes
a. July 16th for Fall semester
b. October 16th for Spring semester
c. March 15th for May 1st – August 15th
d. Approved Furman University student organizations
a. July 31st for Fall semester
b. October 31st for Spring semester
e. OLLI classes
a. August 1st for Fall semester
b. November 1st for Spring semester