194.1 Identification Cards

Created by: Stephanie Ferguson on 05/16/2007
Category: 1 - Academic Affairs; 90 - Miscellaneous
Originator: Acad. Adm. & Faculty Status Committee
Current File: 194.1
Adoption Date: 04/28/2014
Reviewed for Currency: 09/15/2017
Replaces File: 194.1
Date of Origin: 07/02/1974
Classification: Faculty
In Archive? 0

194.1 Identification Cards


A. Background

Faculty, administrators, and staff are issued an identification card so that they may be easily recognized and have access to facilities and events on campus. The identification card is also an access card and may be needed to gain access to specific facilities after normal operating hours.


B. Policy

Faculty, administrators, and staff will have a card for identification and to allow access to campus events and facilities. Retirees may obtain a retiree identification card for use on campus. Dependents of certain faculty, administrators, and staff may also qualify for an identification card to use in the Lay Physical Activities Center (PAC).


C. Guidelines

1. New faculty, administrators, and staff should obtain their identification cards during orientation.

2. There is no charge for the first picture or identification card. If a replacement card is requested, the faculty or staff member will pay a replacement charge.

3.Faculty, administrators, and staff who should obtain identification cards include:


- Full-time faculty and staff

- Part-time faculty and staff

- Retired full-time faculty and staff

- Faculty and staff with one-year appointments

- Temporary staff

- Campus ministers

- Affiliate full-time and part-time employees

- Adjunct faculty who are teaching credit courses, for the contracted semester. NOTE: If the adjunct teaches more than one semester in an academic year, the termination date may be set to be the end of the academic year upon approval of the Vice President for Academic Affairs.

4. Dependents, who are 13 years of age or older, of full-time and part-time faculty and staff, retirees, and employees of affiliate vendors may obtain a dependent identification card. IRS regulations regarding the dependent's income, support, relationship and custody status will be used to determine the eligibility of dependent children. An eligible dependent child meets the following requirements:

- the dependent is a member of the employee's household for the year, and

- the dependent receives over half of his/her financial support for the year from the employee or affiliate household, and

- the dependent is under age 26.

To obtain a dependent identification card, the dependent must complete the required forms (health form and waiver) and have a photo taken in the PAC Fitness Center. Dependents under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian to sign the waiver. The next business day, the faculty or staff member shows his or her identification card in the Student Business Center, confirms that the dependent is a legal dependent and picks up the dependent’s identification card.

5. Faculty, administrators, and staff (other than retirees) and affiliate employees are required to return their identification cards (and any dependent cards) when they end their employment with the university. Identification cards must be returned to the appropriate office as follows:

- Administrators, staff, and affiliate employees: Human Resources Office

- Faculty: Office of the Vice President for Academic Affairs and Dean

- Undergraduate Evening Studies faculty: Office of Continuing Education