183.1 Changing Semester Grades by Instructor

Created by: Stephanie Ferguson on 12/20/2004
Category: 1 - Academic Affairs; 80 - Procedures
Originator: Academic Policies Committee
Current File: 183.1
Adoption Date: 04/20/2011
Reviewed for Currency: 09/26/2017
Replaces File: 183.1
Date of Origin: 07/02/1974
Classification: Faculty
In Archive? 0

183.1 Changing Semester Grades by Instructor


A. Background

A semester grade should be an accurate indication, carefully determined, of a student's performance in a course. Once the grade is recorded, the instructor should not be subjected to any undue pressures to change the grade.


B. Policy

The instructor of the course may change a grade if and only if a mistake was made in determining or recording a semester grade. Only the instructor may change a grade except when the appeals process specified in File 183.2 results in a recommendation for an administrative grade change.


C. Guidelines

1. An instructor seeking to change a student's semester grade because of a mistake should request the change on the appropriate form, which may be obtained from the office of the Associate Academic Dean.

2. The Associate Academic Dean shall approve or disapprove change-of-grade requests. Before the decision is made, the Associate Academic Dean may consult with the instructor and/or his or her department chair. If approved, the request will be sent to Enrollment Services with instructions to make the necessary corrections on the official record.

3. Incomplete (I) grades may be changed to a permanent grade through written notice from the instructor to Enrollment Services. Such a change must be made no later than 40 calendar days after the final grade deadline for the semester in which the incomplete (I) grade was assigned. In addition, incomplete (I) grades for students on academic probation must be changed to permanent grades prior to the start of the following semester. Instructors may request an extension to the deadline from the Associate Academic Dean who will notify Enrollment Services of any approved extension. Incomplete (I) grades not changed by this deadline will become failing (F) grades in accordance with University practice as indicated in the University Catalog.

4. All other temporary grades (such as TS, NR, Q, CIP) may also be changed to a permanent grade through written notice from the instructor to Enrollment Services. Instructors and the Associate Academic Dean will be notified routinely about outstanding temporary grades.