|Created by: Dana Trebing on 12/16/2004|
|Category: 1 - Academic Affairs; 20 - Responsibility|
|Originator: Academic Administration|
|Current File: 123.1|
|Adoption Date: 02/01/2017|
|Reviewed for Currency: 02/01/2017|
|Replaces File: 123.1|
|Date of Origin: 11/12/1975|
|In Archive? 0|
A traditional grading system, with some modifications, is used at Furman to evaluate the academic performance of students.
The grading of a student's work, including the assignment of a final course grade, is the right and responsibility of the instructor.
1. All students taking a course for credit, including those on pass/no pass status, are to be assigned a letter grade for the course. The meaning of the letter grades is stated in the Furman University Catalog.
2. A term grade should be an accurate, carefully determined indication of a student's academic performance in a course, and should be influenced only by factors related to that performance.
3. The instructor is obligated to assign and evaluate work early and throughout the term to assure that students, especially freshmen, are informed of their academic status at appropriate times.
4. Course grades must be reported to the Registrar as soon as possible in accordance with deadlines established by the Registrar. All instructors will have at least forty-eight (48) hours after the conclusion of a final exam to submit grades to the Registrar.
5. Incomplete (I) grades should be assigned only in those situations where, in the judgment of the instructor, the student has been providentially prevented from completing a course. Other temporary grades (such as TS, NR, Q, CIP) should be assigned in accordance with guidelines described in the Furman University Catalog.
6. A term grade may not be changed on the official record unless an error has been made in determining or recording that grade. Procedures for changing grades are specified in File 183.1.
7. The instructor must maintain records in accordance with File 187.8.
8. Additional information on grading may be found in the Furman University Catalog.