291.1 Approval of Students for Campus Jobs

Created by: Pat Teague on 02/06/1999
Category: 2 - Student Life; 90 - Miscellaneous
 
Originator: Vice President for Enrollment
Current File: 291.1
Adoption Date: 02/02/2009
Reviewed for Currency: 02/02/2009
 
Replaces File: 291.1
Date of Origin: 07/30/1974
 
Classification: Faculty
 
In Archive? 0


291.1 Approval of Students for Campus Jobs

 

A. Background

The Federal Work-Study Program (FWSP) is a plan by which federal funds can be used to meet 75 percent of wages paid to eligible students (students with financial need) with the university paying the remaining 25 percent. Because Furman must reimburse the federal government the amount of wages in excess of financial need paid to students under the FWSP, and since FWSP students always receive first priority for on-campus jobs, all student employment must be approved by the Student Employment Office.

 

B. Policy

Federal Work-Study students always receive first priority for on-campus employment. All students seeking campus jobs must be approvedd by the Director of Student Employment.

 

C. Guidelines

1. A copy of the list of all anticipated job openings for students should be sent to the Student Employment Office prior to the beginning of each term.

2. No student is to be hired without first clearing the appointment through the Student Employment Office.

3. The Director of Student Employment has the authority to require that all departments and offices give preference in hiring to qualified FWSP-eligible students.

4. Academic departments should confer with the Director of Student Employment Office in the identification of prospective students for department jobs.

5. Faculty members needing student assistants should address their requests to the Student Employment Office.

...........................